Are you hosting a houseful this holiday season? Make ’em happy they didn’t spring for a hotel room with these gracious guidelines. You’ll be the hostess with the mostess for sure!
- Give them their own key so they can come and go without bothering you.
- Jot down your Wi-Fi password on a cheat sheet, and include any other handy hints, like how to operate your TV, how to turn off the alarm system, where the extra toilet paper is stashed, and anything else that might be unique to your house.
- Make sure your guest’s bed is ready for snoozing. If it’s an air mattress, make sure it’s leak-free. If it’s a hide-a-bed, make sure there’s nothing hiding inside. If it’s a regular bed, change the sheets and wash the rest of the bedding. Supply an extra pillow if you have one, and make an extra blanket available.
- Keep a basket of mini toiletries on the bathroom counter. Include a new toothbrush, toothpaste, and a razor to forgetful friends and family.
- Show your guests which towels to use, and tell them where to hang the wet ones.
- Place a vase of flowers, a bottle of water, and a couple of magazines near the bed.
- Point out available outlets so guests can charge their phone.
- Ask ahead about food allergies and aversions.
- Keep snacks like fresh fruit and packets of pretzels within reach.
- Have something available for breakfast.
- Let your guests help with meal preparation.
- Don’t schedule too many activities. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy your company!